A Hospital Based Prospective Study on Acute Scrotum: Evaluation, Diagnosis, Intervention and Management
Background: Generally, testis is partly covered by tunica vaginalis derived from procesus vaginalis in anterior part. If testis, epididymis and distal part of spermatic cord is covered by tunica–vaginalis, torsion of the testis may occur in this serosal space. The major differential diagnoses are acute epididymitis, strangulated hernia, hematocle, hydrocle, testis tumor and idiopathic scrotal edema
Methods: This prospective study was carried out among 100 male patients between the age group of 14 to 70 years. Around 100 cases were included in our study.
Results: We observed that swelling & pain seen in every cases while fever in 48 cases, burning micturition in 30 cases, abdominal pain in 16 cases & 12 cases of trauma. All the patients treated conservatively responded well with complete recovery.
Conclusions: Our study revealed that Conservative treatment in the form of rest, scrotal support, antibiotics and analgesics is effective in cases of epididymo orchitis and idiopathic scrotal edema.
2. Gonzalez R. Textbook of Pediatrics. 15th ed. Saunders; 1996. Disorders and anomalies of scrotal contents; p. 1549.
3. Wein AJ, Kavoussi LR, Novick AC. 9th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2007. Campbell's Urology; pp. 3198–3216.
4. Granados EA, Caicedo P, Garat M. Testicular torsion before 6 hours. Arch Esp Urol. 1998;51(10):971
5. Pogorelić Z, Jurić I, Biočić M et al. Management of testicular rupture after blunt trauma in children. Pediatr Surg Int 2011;27(8): 885–889.
6. NH Moharib et al. Acute Scrotum in Children with Emphasis on Torsion of Spermatic Cord J Urol 104 (4), 601-603. 10 1970.
7. Stehr M, Boehm R. Critical validation of colour Doppler ultrasound in diagnostics of acute scrotum in children. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2003; 13(6):386-392.
8. Shukla RB, Kelly DG, Daly L. Association of cold weather with testicular torsion. Br Med J 1982;285(6353):1459-1513.
9. Srinivasan AK, Freyle J, Gitlin J. Climatic conditions and the risk of testicular torsion in adolescent males. J Urol 20in adolescent males. J Urol 2007;178(6):2585-2588.
Copyright (c) 2020 Mohan Lal Vishnoi, Manish .
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.