An Evaluated Study on Tuberculosis Cases Attending Pulmonary Diseases Department in Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital
Background: The RNTCP (Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programmed) in India provide a strong framework for the outpatient management of tuberculosis yet very less literature is available on tuberculosis in hospitalized patients. Several factors including the clinical and socio- economic status contribute to the burden of hospitalization in tuberculosis.
Methods: 150 total numbers of cases were included who had infection of tuberculosis. This study was conducted in the Department of TB & Respiratory Diseases, Shri Dev Suman Subharti Medical College, Dehradun.
Results: ‘Among the all cases we found that, 40% having extra pulmonary, 37.3% pulmonary, disseminated 22.7% tuberculosis infection.
Conclusion: This study concludes that extra pulmonary TB was most common followed by pulmonary TB.
2. Stead WW, Dutt AK. Tuberculosis in elderly persons. Ann Rev Med 1991;42:267-76. 3. Dutt AK, Stead WW. Tuberculosis in the elderly. Med Clin North Am 1993;77:1353–68.
4. Perez-Guzman C,Vargas MH, Torres-Cruz A, VillarrealVelarde H. Does aging modify pulmonary tuberculosis? A meta-analytical review. Chest 1999;116:961-7.
5. Alvarez S, Shell C, Berk SL. Pulmonary tuberculosis in elderly men. Am J Med 1987;82:602-6.
6. Korezeniewska-Kosela M, Krysl J, Muller N, Black W, Allen E, Fitz-Gernald JM. Tuberculosis in young adults and the elderly. A prospective comparison study. Chest 1994; 106: 28-32.
7. Umeki S. Comparison of younger and elderly patients with pulmonary tuberculosis. Respiration 1989;55:75-83.
8. Liaw YS, Yang PC, YuCJ, Wu ZG, Chang DB, Lee LN, Kuo SH, LUh KT. Clinical spectrum of tuberculosis in older patients. J AM Geriatr Soc 1995; 43: 256-60.
9. Perez-Guzman C, Torres-Cruz A, Villarreal-Velarde H, Vargas MH. Progressive age-related changes in pulmonary tuberculosis images and the effect of diabetes. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 162:1738-40.
10. Katz I, Rosenthal T, Michaeli D. Undiagnosed tuberculosis in hospitalized patients. Chest 1985;87:770-4.
11. Rocha M, Pereira S, Barros H,Seabra J. Does pulmonary tuberculosis change with aging? Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 1997;1:147-51.
12. Van den Brande P, Vernies T, Verwerfit J,Van Bleyenber R, Van-hoenacker F, Demedts M. Impact of age and radiographic presentation on the presumptive diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis. Respir Med 2002;96:979-83.
13. V.K. Arora, R.S. Bedi. Geriatric tuberculosis in Himachal Pradesh. A Clinico Radiological profile. JAPI 1989; 31: 205-207.
14. S.N. Gaur, V.K. Dhingra, S. Rajpal, J.K. Aggarwaland meghana. Tuberculosis in the elderly and their treatment outcome under DOTS. Indian J Tuberc 2004;51:83-87.
15. Global executive summary, status of the TB epidemic. Document number: WHO/CDS/TB/2018.25
16. Revised national tuberculosis control programme. Annual status Report 2018.
17. Bilagi RB, Deshmukh H. Study of clinical profile of tuberculosis patients admitted in respiratory medicine ward at a tertiary care hospital in Marathwada. Int J Adv Med 2018;5: 68-72.
Copyright (c) 2019 Deepak Kumar Kalra
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.